I want to take a minute to talk about the “Justice” SYSTEM here in America.
More often than not, I hear and see people in positions of authority taking advantage of their power. They are supposed to be “protecting & serving” the community (or so I thought), but that may only apply to the wealthy people. As far as I can tell, their main purpose is to ROB you of every penny you’re worth. Whether that be through petty traffic tickets or something more, the odds of you getting the charge dismissed usually depends on how much money you’re willing to spend. This is how the SYSTEM screws over the poor.
Take “Civil Forfeiture” for example:
Civil forfeiture in the United States, sometimes called civil judicial forfeiture or occasionally civil seizure, is a controversial legal process in which law enforcement officers take assets from persons suspected of involvement with crime or illegal activity without necessarily charging the owners with wrongdoing. While civil procedure, as opposed to criminal procedure, generally involves a dispute between two private citizens, civil forfeiture involves a dispute between law enforcement and property such as a pile of cash or a house or a boat, such that the thing is suspected of being involved in a crime. To get back the seized property, owners must prove it was not involved in criminal activity. Sometimes it can mean a threat to seize property as well as the act of seizure itself.
Now, let’s just clarify some details:
- Any amount ($1.00-$2,500.00) requires posting a bond of $250 MINIMUM.
- Any amount ($2,501.00-$50,000.00) requires posting a bond of 10%, no greater than $5,000.
- There are NO GUARANTEES that you will get ANY of your money back. Forfeited or BOND.
- It could take 6 months to get anything back.
- They will most likely offer you HALF of what they took as a settlement, in order to stop you from taking it to court.
- Again, let me reiterate: YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE PROVEN GUILTY OF ANY CRIME for them to take your property.
This is one of the most blatant abuses of power currently in existence. They target the poor & the minorities more than anyone else. Apparently we are GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT in this country. And if you don’t have money, it’s much harder to prove you’re innocent. Food for thought.
JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST ABUSE OF POWER!